The Life Skills Programme is managed by a full time Occupational Therapist. The programme is designed for individuals of any age and ability who are able to work at various levels of independence on site at WindReach. The Life Skills OT will work closely with the participant’s support staff (special education teachers, paras, aides, social workers, OTs etc) to ensure that individuals continue to achieve personal goals and develop their levels of independence as outlined in their Individual Education Plans (IEPs) or Care/Discharge Plans.
Under the supervision of our Life Skills OT, individuals with special needs practice valuable skills needed for everyday life; the skills that we often take for granted. Research based evidence and the resources available on the WindReach property are used to engage our participants in meaningful and goal oriented activities. We work with a broad range of needs and abilities and develop goals based on their unique interests. Our primary aim is to engage our participants in WindReach’s vibrant community and assist them with functional life skills that will promote engagement in the larger community here on island. We have a range of activities and resources on the property such as our community gardens, petting zoo, kitchens and stables.
Participants in this programme may come to WindReach as a group or as an individual. We do require all participants to attend with their support worker(s)
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING
IN THE LIFE SKILLS PROGRAMME?
School Age Outcomes:
- Challenge touch, auditory, visual and smell defensiveness in a motivating environment without overloading
- Improved concentration and time on task
- Improved social and communication skills
- Development of gross and fine motor skills
Young Adult Outcomes:
- Improved time management and decision making
- Improved emotional regulation, social skills and self-esteem
- Work related skills
Adults and Seniors Outcomes:
- Improved physical fitness
- Increased meaningful engagement with peers
- Improved gross and fine motor skills
If you are interested in participating in our Life Skills Programme, please contact Alyssa Frick at email@example.com or call 238 2469.