The Life Skills Programme is designed for individuals of any age and ability who are able to work at various levels of independence on site at WindReach. The Life Skills Coordinator will work closely with the participant’s support staff (special education teachers, paras, aides, social workers, OTs etc) to ensure that individuals continue to achieve personal goals and develop their levels of independence as outlined in their Individual Education Plans (IEPs) or Care/Discharge Plans.
Under the supervision of our Life Skills Coordinator, individuals with special needs practice valuable skills needed for everyday life; the skills that we often take for granted. Research based evidence and the resources available on the WindReach property are used to engage our participants in meaningful and goal oriented activities. We work with a broad range of needs and abilities and develop goals based on their unique interests. Our primary aim is to engage our participants in WindReach’s vibrant community and assist them with functional life skills that will promote engagement in the larger community here on island. We have a range of activities and resources on the property such as our community gardens, animal zone kitchens and stables.
Participants in this programme may come to WindReach as a group or as an individual. We do require all participants to attend with their support worker(s)
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING
IN THE LIFE SKILLS PROGRAMME?
School Age Outcomes:
- Challenge touch, auditory, visual and smell defensiveness in a motivating environment without overloading
- Improved concentration and time on task
- Improved social and communication skills
- Development of gross and fine motor skills
Young Adult Outcomes:
- Improved time management and decision making
- Improved emotional regulation, social skills and self-esteem
- Work related skills
Adults and Seniors Outcomes:
- Improved physical fitness
- Increased meaningful engagement with peers
- Improved gross and fine motor skills
C.R.E.W. (CREATING REAL EXPERIENCES AT WINDREACH)
The CREW (Creating Real Experiences WindReach) programme is for adults with special needs and incorporates three different groups depending on the individuals focus and goals. We offer an ‘Enrichment’ group, ‘Life Skills’ group and ‘Work Experience’ group.
Our Enrichment group focuses on social engagement and exploring activities such as sensory art, boccia, baking, yoga and animal interaction.
Our Life Skills group focuses on social interaction and exploring activities linked to work skills, such as gardening, baking, partner work and art & crafts.
Our Work Experience group focuses on work skills and specific areas you may want to gain experience within such as animal care, gardening, support with resume writing and more.
- To develop social and communication skills
- Explore and develop relationships with others
- Explore and develop interest and skills development
- Increase meaningful engagement with peers
- Explore and develop knowledge and experience within animal interaction/care and gardening
- Explore and develop work skills
- Explore transition into employment
If you are interested in participating in our Life Skills Programme, please contact Rebecca Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 238 2469.